[pct-l] Health Insurance

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Mar 2 21:41:57 CST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 6:26 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> My girlfriend and I will be taking our first stab at the PCT this
> year and will be quitting our jobs in order to do so. I was
> wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for affordable health
> insurance plans which would only be used to cover any unexpected
> major medical situations? I currently have a personal plan in my
> name that my employer covers, but there is no way I can afford to
> pay it myself while unemployed. I appreciate anyone's thoughts on
> this matter.
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,
Do you qualilfy for COBRA? It is your right when you leave a company
and you can still sign up if you have not yet. Otherwise, some people
get a catastrophic plan or do like I have done for most of my poor,
adult life, which is use free/sliding scale clinics for routine care
and pray for the best.