[pct-l] Camp Shoes and Such

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 03:00:33 CST 2009

Bruce said:
"FWIW, if you get debris in shoes and it bothers you, light gaiters
are a must-have.  Never needed them with boots, but found I did with
low cut shoes."

Yet another case of different approaches for different people.   A
must-have for Bruce, a very optional, mixed blessing thing for me.   I
started out wearing gaiters and have in the past worn them on hikes
closer to home.   But the Golite shoes I use tend to wear holes in the
upper fabric, so that for the last one or two hundred miles of use I
would get some small stuff inside the shoe anyway.  As a result, at
some point along the way last year I stopped bothering with the
gaiters.

The result was that I enjoyed going gaiter-free.  Getting stuff into
the shoe was really pretty infrequent, and I really liked having one
less thing to take off and then put back on in order to air out my
feet at a break.    Caveat: I wear long pants on the trail, long
enough that I suspect they kept a lot of stuff out of my shoes.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle