[pct-l] How do the passes compare?

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Jun 29 22:55:03 CDT 2009

As someone who came over Forrester Pass on Sunday and hit the pass peak around 2:40pm, I experienced postholing on both sides including up to my thigh a few times.  Now, I realize that things would have been better had I gotten over the pass by noon but what I went through was hard on my ankles and my right knee.

Now that I'm in Independence and will be returning to the trail on Wednesday morning, I'm curious how the other passes will compare to what I encountered on Forrester.  Traditionally, which passes are the worse ones?  At least they will have a few days to melt off more.

By the way, I found the snow level south of Kearsarge to really start around 11,500ft (according to my altimeter watch) with thick patches rapidly turning to solid snow a little further up except on some steep or really exposed areas.

-Miner