[pct-l] Shoes For Extra Wide Feet?

Diane Soini diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jun 29 21:45:54 CDT 2009

I don't know that I actually have extra wide feet, but only extra wide
shoes fit like shoe salesman want your feet to fit, with your toes up
near the top.

I tried New Balance but there's no cushioning. After 13 miles I'm hobbling.

I recently bought some Brooks shoes. They are men's shoes but they are
not a wide width. What I did instead was buy them extra long for my
feet. There's almost 2 inches of space beyond my big toe. Since all my
toes are nearly even with each other, it's the only way to get the
widest part of my foot at the widest part of the shoe. And the Brooks
aren't overly rigid or under padded. They are cushioned nicely yet
very flexible. They seem to work really well for me. At the end of a
30 mile day, my feet are not sore so much as my legs. That's what I
want.

This probably doesn't help if your feet are already a size 13. You're
getting pretty close to the biggest size. But you might consider
trying a size 15 and seeing if that works. You get used to your shoes
being a little longer than your feet very quickly.

Diane