[pct-l] Red's Meadow Ranger

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 10:34:16 CDT 2009

I just wanted to say that I have met the ranger in question near Reds Meadow
and found her to be friendly, interested in what I was doing and meticulous
at her job... which is to say she wanted to see my permit and bear canister.
I did get the feeling that she wouldn't have been happy should I not have
had the required items but she was only doing her job, which is to protect
the resource and make sure backcountry users are following regulations.
I understand not following the rules, I do it all the time. That is a choice
we, as adults get to make. However, when we get caught breaking the rules, I
find it interesting when people get pissed off at the person who catches
them breaking the rule. Most of the time it isn't the people who we
encounter who make the rules so it isn't productive to get angry at them. I
suspect (pure speculation) the ranger in question has had to deal with too
many people breaking the rules and has developed a shell to deal with people
she suspects might be in that category.

Of course this is pure speculation. But I did want to say I found her to be
friendly.