[pct-l] Powdered Milk

moodyjj at comcast.net moodyjj at comcast.net
Sun Jun 28 20:08:41 CDT 2009

I buy the standard "Instant non-fat dry milk" at the grocery.  Carnation makes it, but the store brand (Kroger in our case) is identical but cheaper.  One-third cup of powder (enough to make 1 cup of milk) has 80 calories, no fat, 12 gm carbohydrates, no fiber, and 8 gm protein.  Vitamins A and D are added.  Good source of calcium on the trail.  A professional nutritionist friend told me that it won't spoil quickly, even after the envelope has been opened.  My only complaint is that all the fat has been removed.  I suspect that instant milk WITH fat would spoil quickly.

I put an envelope of this stuff in each mail drop when I was on the AT and used it to supplement oatmeal and grits, supper meal mixes, hot chocolate drink, etc.  I now use it with powdered peanut butter to get more nutrition in lunch snacks.

Mango