[pct-l] Shoes For Extra Wide Feet?

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Sun Jun 28 16:05:44 CDT 2009

Howdy,

Does anyone have recommendations for extra-wide shoes?

For a couple years I have used the Merrell Moab Ventilators in regular wide,
but they aren't really wide enough any more.

The more I hike, the more my feet seem to grow.

My foot is size 13 and it looks like I need a width with lots of E's behind
it now...

I'm cool with shoes that are more like tennis-shoes than trail shoes. The
lighter, more comfortable and more breathable the better for me.

I'm thinking to go with New Balance. I've never worn them before, but they
look to have a wide selection in lots of different widths....

What model do you NB wearer's recommend?

My main concern is toe-box width, because my toes (and the part of my foot
at the base of the toes) is really wide. I need a shoe with a more
square-shaped foot-box (as opposed to really triangular) because my little
toes are kind of long too.

I feel like if I keep hiking for a few more years, I'm gonna have to start
ordering my shoes special-order from Nike like Shaq!! :P

Thanks for any advice...

-Erik the Black
Aka: "Daffy Duck"
www.eriktheblack.com

PS. If there are other shoe companies aside from New Balance with good,
extra-wide shoes I'd like to know about them too.