[pct-l] JMT permits

Ann Marie dbanmrkr at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 23:09:22 CDT 2009

I simply have to have an answer to these questions. And the hikers who have been on the JMT will probably know.

I am one of those hikers hoping to land a walkup wildness permit, since the online reservations are fully booked for August for Happy Isles, Tuolumne, and other early trailheads. Everyone wants to depart in August.

I understand the wilderness office(s) will try really hard to get you on the trail the day you walkup. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that each office can just "stamp" the permits for any trailhead even if it's not the one you are at currently. And I can hardly believe that if I'm at Happy Isles and the only opening they have is from Tuolumne that day that they REALLY make the hiker get transportation to Tuolumne to begin the hike. Are there park rangers at every trailhead, checking permits before allowing each hiker to step onto the trails ? (seriously, are there?) How much do you think the fine could be if I have a permit and they find me on the trail before the place my permit allows me to be?  :)  Has anyone BEEN fined and for how much ?