[pct-l] hiking the John Muir Trail

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Jun 26 12:56:31 CDT 2009

Zoli,
I have hiked the JMT many times and in my opinion August to early
September is the best time.
After July most the mosquitoes and snow will be gone and snow storms,
although a possibility  any time of the year in the Sierra, are less likely.
After mid September, however, the possibility of snow is much more likely.
I never felt that the JMT is crowded......you will see other hikers
occasionally but, being outgoing and friendly, I don't mind meeting
other hikers on the trail and in fact enjoy meeting other hikers on the
trail and chatting for a while.....it makes hiking more
interesting......of course that is my opinion and others will disagree
with me.
The later in August you start, the fewer people but, the greater the
possibility of snow as it goes into September.
Now, if you are going solo or with a small group and want solitude, you
can find small camp areas far away from established  camp grounds almost
anywhere along the trail.
I don't know if you are going North or South, traditional or UL, but 15
days is doable if you are a strong hiker and are going light.......if
not, you might want to add 2-3 days to your schedule.
Also are you going unsupported or are you going to resupply?
Muir Trail Ranch is more along the mid point of the trail but does not
have most of  the things backpackers need if you need to buy
anything.....It is mostly a resupply point for the supplies you mail.
Vermilion  Resort  at Lake  Thomas A. Edison, on the other hand, has
most anything a hiker may need.
It is also hiker friendly....tell them you are thru-hiking the JMT and
they will give you one night free in their group tent and one free beer
or soda of your choice.
They also have showers and fantastic BBQ dinners.

My wife and I are planing on hiking the JMT in 15 days this August with
a resupply at  VR  and if my right knee, which required surgery last
year,  feels OK,  I may turn around at Whitney Portal and, after a day
or two of rest on top of Mt. Whitney, go for another solo ''Sub Five
Unsupported JMT''.
That is if my wife lets me.....she keeps insisting that at  68  I am
getting to old for that extreme stuff....we'll see.
BTW....Zoli, my wife is  67  (don't tell her I told you) and if she can
do it in 15 days so can you.
BTW....HOW old are you?......You're not  67  are you?

So who knows Zoli, we may just run into each other on the JMT.
Until then  ''Happy Trails''.

JMT Reinhold

Zoli wrote:
I am planning on hiking the john muir trail some time between mid august
and mid september. What is the best times to hike it. One factor for me
would be to avoid the major crowds. I would like to hike it in 15 which
would include 1 rest day. Thanks for your input zoli