[pct-l] JMT in late August with poncho rainfly

Stephen Clark rowriver at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:22:50 CDT 2009

Last summer in late July early August we had a serious rain in the Eastern Sierra (JMT in Yosemite) every afternoon for an entire week. About 3:30 or 4:00 the building thunder heads cut loose and let us have it. One day, I recall in particular, it started hailing and hailed heavily for 20 minutes then rained as if the heavens had been unzipped for another hour... I was on a zero day and by the end of the storm nearly everyone in the Tuolumne Meadows camp ground, even the car campers with the big tents, had been washed out. I heard later we had recieved over 2" of rain in that hour.  I've also seen it snow several inches above 9500' in August along the JMT.

Moral: One just never knows...  Don't count on good weather and be prepared.

Oregon Bound