[pct-l] Dixon Rollerpack

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Jun 11 10:24:31 CDT 2009

I sure wouldn't want to be pulling that thing through the sand and volcanic pumice between Mojave and Kennedy Meadows, or making some of those high rocky traverses and tight turns.

The geometry scares me; picture a right triangle....... The rollerpack is 56 inches long (aka the hypotenuse of the right triangle). My waist is 38 inches above ground level (the vertical side of the right triangle). Using the Pythagorean Theorem, I discover that the wheel is 41 inches behind me. I'm dragging a 41 inch weighted tail.

If that wheel slips off the trail, the weight of the whole thing will swing like a pendulum with your hips as the fulcrum. Seems like an easy way to fall or get dragged off balance.

No, thanks!