[pct-l] Forester Pass Report

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Wed Jun 10 19:40:39 CDT 2009

Nobo. The trail is covered in several feet of snow with a coating of fresh powder and hail about 6" on top of that from 1.5 miles past Tyndall to Forester. The snow is hard packed and passable. Socks and I went over the top at 1PM during a whiteout hail/snow storm. The trail down the back side along the ridge was also snowcovered but PASSABLE all the way down to about 10500 feet. Orienteering skills with a map and compass or GPS are helpfull but just plain dead reckoning with the Tom Harrison map was all we required.. even in the storm.
Traction devices we not used nor did we need to remove the iceaxes from our packs.
We went over yesterday june 9. Conditions continue to change and today when we came over Kearsarge it was still storming hail and light snow.
Kearsarge Pass has very little snow and routefinding where there was snow was simple.
Happy Hiking & Prepare but Don't Turn Back!
-Iceaxe
Sent from the Trail on my Peek