[pct-l] Permethrin

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Tue Jun 9 11:40:07 CDT 2009

I've been using Permethrin on my clothing for several years, and if there was ever a true wonder chemical, this is it.  It is so effective, that it cuts down my use of DEET about 90%, except under the most severe conditions.  I have only used sprays, but there is a trick:  at least on shirts, you must spray until the fabric is saturated.  When done that way, it works, and it will work for about 2 months, including through washings.  While I've not heard anything about damage to fabrics (I think you may be mistaking this with DEET, in which that can be an issue), I have never thought to treat my sleeping bag or ground cloth, although I could see treating the part of the bag around the opening, if one was going to be sleeping under the stars...that would help.  Definitely bug net (which you may find you don't need) and outer clothing.

By the way, I've found a Permethrin product for sale at the 99cent only stores, 6 oz for a buck, which I've used to great effect.

"I am thinking about treating my clothing with Permethin.  On the REI WEB Site they have both a two-hour soak-in treatment Sawyer Perethrin Military Treatment and a spray-on treatment, also by Sawyer.  It seems to me that soaking for two hours would be more effective than spraying it on, although some items may not soak too well.  I was thinking about spraying my sleeping bag, bug net and ground cloth while soaking my clothing.  Does that sound right?  I am a little concerned because I tend to remember reading somewhere, something about damage to fabrics.  Does anybody know about that?"