[pct-l] SPOT Thoughts

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Tue Jun 9 00:23:32 CDT 2009

I am a SPOT user.  Like any other tool, using SPOT properly requires
some thought and practice.  Here's how I use it:

1.  The primary reason for carrying this device is NOT to summon
rescuers.  It is to tell your loved ones that you are OK so they can
sleep at night.  In my case, that would be my wife.  Before I leave on
a trip we have a discussion about the SPOT and what to expect.  I
explain, ad nauseum, that I will not have the SPOT device on unless I
am stopped in a location where I think I have satellite access and
then I will send from one to several OK messages. I turn on the
device, leave it on for 20 minutes, send an OK and then send two more
at 20 minute intervals thereafter. I generally do this in the morning
while making breakfast and packing to leave, at a lunch time stop and
before bed.
2. It is important to cover this question:  What should I do if I
don't get an OK message?  This depends on where I'm going.  In the
"green tunnel" trails of Western Oregon, it is important to understand
that I might not be able to get a clear sky whenever I want to send a
message, so missing a transmission or two shouldn't be construed as
trouble.  On the other hand, when I'm trekking about in sage and
juniper country in SE Oregon, I can almost always send a message and a
long period without an OK should be taken more seriously.
3.  Ultimately,  the OK messages are just as important to a rescue as
the 911 message.  It seems to me that a true backwoods disaster is
quite likely to prevent me from sending a 911 message and that my
trail of OK messages may be the best way for searchers to narrow down
the search area if I should disappear.  This would, at least, give
searchers my last known location.
4.  The "Help" message has to be considered a specific user-defined
message.  Personally, I won't push the help button unless I know it is
sending a specific pre-defined message to my wife.  For example, on a
trip last summer that involved a lot of driving on back roads in
remote locations in Harney County, Oregon (where there jack rabbits
far outnumber people and there is no cell phone coverage) we agreed
that "Help" meant:  "My car has broken down far from anywhere and I'm
going to need a tow truck.  I'm not in any immediate danger.  I have
adequate food, water and shelter for now. See if you can get a tow
truck to come out and get me.  If I decide to try to walk out, I'll
leave a trail of OK messages as I go.  If all hell breaks loose I"ll
use the 911 button.
5.   As for me, my plan is to use the 911 button only when I've
abandoned all hope of self rescue.  I am immobilized and can't walk
out or I am hopelessly lost and have run out of food/water/shelter to
keep me alive.  It would be my intention to NOT use the 911 function
in the sort of situation in which Censored found herself.  I would, in
fact, send an OK message in that situation in order to fix my last
known location should things turn out for the worst.  I mean no
criticism of Censored when I say that.  I very well might crumble and
learn a lesson about my own resolve if faced with the same situation.
As far as I'm concerned, Censored made it out alive and well and
tragedy was averted.  The rest is comedy.  I hear Desi saying "Lucy!
You've got some 'splainin' to do!"  A lot of people literally die of
embarrassment.  Censored didn't and for that we are all thankful.

One scenario I have yet to resolve is this: what should I do with the
SPOT if I'm rattle snake bit several miles from the trailhead.  It
might be better for my over all health to hit 911 and sit quietly
waiting for extraction.  On the other hand, I could almost certainly
walk out on my own and find my way to a hospital without fatal
consequences.  I guess I'll have to decide that one when and if it
happens.

Wayne Kraft