[pct-l] MTR-Whitney resupply

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 8 20:23:39 CDT 2009

There aren't any on-trail places to resupply.  There are a couple of very costly ways of having a resupply packed in by horses.  What i would highly recommend though is exiting the PCT at Kearsarge Pass, and then hitching into either Independence or Bishop to resupply.  (Independence post office mail a box to yourself, or Bishop big grocery.)  This breaks your hike to Whitney into 2 relatively equal parts.

I remember when i did the JMT, that exit seemed like a ridiculous notion.  Why hike ALL that way, stick out your thumb and risk you life, etc., just to resupply???  So i just hauled my stuff the whole way.

Well, when i did the PCT, i did the Kearsarge exit, and the Kearsarge Pass trails ended up being the most beautiful area of all of California, (IMHO) and the hitch wasn't a big deal, with so many like-minded hikers in the area.  There is a good Sizzler with salad bar in Bishop, and the Galen Rowell mountain photo museum, etc...  I've never heard of anyone regretting this detour.