[pct-l] SPOT lessons learned?

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Mon Jun 8 18:52:27 CDT 2009

I totally agree with you about hikers in the bush needing to know
about hypothermia.
	More people die from it in the 40 degree range than you think.
	I learned a great tip from Mors Kochanski, an outdoor educator from
Canada ( His quote, "The more you know the less you carry.") .  His
simple  test for hypothermic capacity  that if you are not able to
touch your thumb to your little finger, you must take immediate steps
to warm up.  And when you stop moving in cold weather , your first
thought should be to start a fire.  If you are not able to do the
simple touch test, you'll need to exercise strenuously to restore your
manipulative capacity to even work a lighter or strike a match.  His
excellent "Bushcraft" then launches into 65 pages of information about
fire building.
Uncle Tom

Blogging about the Great Outdoors
on http://tjamrog.wordpress.com ( hotlink)