[pct-l] rafting the Kern

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Mon Jun 8 16:50:44 CDT 2009

Freiman, Paul wrote:
> Switchback,
> The Kern is really fun to raft, but not at all safe.  Hundreds of people have lost their lives.  I can name 4 SEPARATE times when someone in my group could easily have lost their life, including me.  I'm not going back (and I lead 3 trips there).

##########

Interesting.  I have rafted many Class I-III rivers and a couple of
IV.   Found the Kern to be almost boring in comparison to the Northern
CA (American River)  or other stuff.

The risk really depends on the day and waterflow combined with your
tolerance of risk.   What is boring on one day can be deadly the next.
When we did the Kern it was Class III.  We did it in the raft a couple
of times then repeated in Kayaks.   Was certain I wold die in the kayak
but I am a backpacker at heart and wear a PFD when I take a shower so i
may not be the best judge when you put me in the boat and cover me with
rocks and waves.

Mark "Blankie" Liechty
mlaccs @ mlaccs . com