[pct-l] Need Oregon Section D advice

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 16:32:42 CDT 2009

Will wrote:

The Wilderness Press authors recommend taking the old
Oregon Skyline Trail north from Windigo pass - does anyone have a preference
on taking the OST to Cascade Summit or staying on the PCT?

I'm also curious about Mt. Thielsen.  The Wilderness Press book says it's a
pretty easy summit and the views are phenomenal, but I am not a climber and
I don't want to get in over my head.

I section-hiked that part last year.  I don't have my guidebook in front of
me now but as I recall I took the PCT from Windigo Pass to Shelter Cove.  I
figured since I wasn't trying to beat the end of the season or anything I
could afford the time.  I thought the PCT through there was worth hiking -
it wasn't anything life-changing but Summit Lake and Diamond Peak were
pretty and I'm glad I did it.  There was a fair bit of up and down, though,
and it was fairly dry.  I had to carry quite a bit of water.

I'm not a rock-climber but to my unprofessional eye it appeared that you
could climb Mt. Thielsen without specialized gear (except maybe for the
summit pinnacle), but you should be comfortable with that kind of
environment before you attempt it.  It's a scrambling route, not a trail.
It looked like too much of an investment of time and energy that I could
better use to get myself further up the trail so I skipped it.  (Then again,
I'm from Seattle so I'm possibly jaded in terms of great views.)

You can find lots of info on the web; try this link for instance:
http://www.traditionalmountaineering.org/Photos_Thielsen_Summit_sm.htm

Eric