[pct-l] SAR comments on Censored epic

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Mon Jun 8 14:41:14 CDT 2009

raymond may wrote:
> Also, tying knots when your fingers are numb is next to impossible.  For our
> tarp, I pre-tied taut-line hitch loops for all the guy lines, so all I had
> to do was lay out the stakes and adjust the tension if needed.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch

##########

I had a couple of significant lessons that had not been issues before
Ned's training.

1. My lighters were worthless.  Not sure if it was that they were frozen
or if it just hurt more than my fingers could take to light them but
"flicking a bic"  was not getting me fire.  I carry matches as a backup
and they worked great.  Low tech has it's advanted.

2. My water purification pump froze over.  Worked great for day one but
then the water froze in the pump and there was no way to get it apart.
had there been a crisis i could have boiled water, put the pump in and
then losened it up but it was way way more work than it will ever be
again now that I know this is a real risk.

3. Seeing the others bury their tent lines 18" or more and taking a long
long time to dig them out was interesting.  I used sticks an burried
4-6" or so and was in great shape.

4. Came away from that weekend with worse sunburn that ever in hundreds
of nights of camping.  Far worse than anything I have had in the desert
or the beach or anywhere else...