[pct-l] SAR, hiker preparedness and safety

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Mon Jun 8 12:44:37 CDT 2009

Hi, Donna & Ken!

I'll put this out to the List because the subject relates to what we are
most concerned about here, realistic thru hiker preparedness and safety.

We advocate trail safety through practice and training. Part of preparation
for these trips must come from getting out on the trail with all the gear,
food, clothing, and other "systems" of yours in the conditions you
realistically expect to encounter on your thru hike to see if you and your
systems "work" for you. If you feel uncomfortable with your experience
level, trail skill level, or practical knowledge base, we offer free
on-trail Courses for the thru hiker to be taught or trained in such things
in a short amount of time.

Donna is a prime example of one who wanted such training and exposure to the
"worst of conditions" while with an instructor who could help her learn how
to deal with such and still be safe and have a lot of fun. Donna, when did
you take our Snow Course? 2006? Did it help prepare you for the realities of
the worst of trail conditions?

These Courses are free. If you feel, after you've finished your weekend
training trip that you benefitted from it or learned something of value, you
can feel free to contribute something to the instructor, but we conduct
these out of desire to help hikers learn and practice what we believe is
necessary for safer thru hikes.

More on-trail practice in the worst of conditions could have helped Kat and
others avoid their 911 calls and eliminate the risk to the searchers looking
for them.

Mtnned