[pct-l] who pays?

Paul paul_c at tuxcnc.org
Sat Jun 6 12:21:42 CDT 2009

On Saturday 06 June 2009, Brick Robbins wrote:
> ALL rescues in Europe cost money. Almost everyone caries rescue insurance.

I think it would be safe to say all rescues, anywhere in the world, cost
money. However, in the UK (technically part of Europe), few take out
insurance. The search & rescue teams are all dedicated volunteers funded by
donations and occasionally, small grants. They will come out in all weathers
for rescues on mountains, moorlands, caves, and water and never charge for
the service.

 Visitors from overseas may pick up a charge for hospitalisation, but then
medical/travel insurance should cover that.

A $7 insurance policy sounds like a good idea to me - Even better if some of
that gets passed on to the SAR groups. For my part, I'll continue to drop a
few quid in the collecting tins when up in the Lake District or under the
Yorkshire Dales.

Regards, Paul.