[pct-l] Monument 78- new register in place

Connie Davis conniedavis at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 6 09:25:06 CDT 2009

Skittles and I hiked in a new register for the class of 2009 on
Thursday. It was a gorgeous hot day. The snow has been melting quickly
up here with the last 3 weeks of amazingly good weather, forecasted to
end soon.

For the southbounders: there are a few blowdowns but none you have to
leave the trail to negotiate. There are a few small avalanche chutes
with snow, small trees and rocks over the trail. The mosquitoes are
just starting to come out. If you get a late start there is a nice
backcountry camp about 4 miles in with a bear cache, permanent water
source, fire ring and pit toilet on top of the ridge with views of
what's to come. Horse camp is about 8 miles and only  yards from the
monument.

We cleaned out some stuff left there that didn't overwinter well in
the soggy base of the monument. I am drying out the 2008 register.
It's in decent shape and everyone's witty, bittersweet and awestruck
comments are readable. I was thinking of scanning it and making into a
PDF before sending it to the PCTA. (This might take me a while.)
Anyone have an idea where to post it?

After we were done at the monument we hiked to the top of Windy Joe.
There is a lookout tower, pit toilet and picnic table on top and nice
views, so if you really don't want to see the PCT end you could hang
out there for awhile.

Lookout
Class of 2005