[pct-l] who pays?

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Fri Jun 5 16:58:35 CDT 2009

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com wrote:
> Each hiker has to decide for him/her self what is important and valuable to
> carry. The problem seems to be that they do not know what to prepare for,
> don't believe they need to (based on the probability of adverse situations
> ahead based on the reports of others), and are influenced/inclined/motivated
> by the current ultra-light trend.
> #########

The other huge factor to consider is what happens if you will not be
able to call for help.    If you KNOW using your SPoT or cell phone or
whatever else you want will cost YOU out of pocket for how ever many
thousands of dollars it takes to come find you the decision of what
risks to take may be different.  For me that means carrying more gear
than I absolutely need just in case.

I remember well the line I heard from somewhere in the past.  There is
no such thing as bad weather, only bad choices in gear.  The toughest
fastest bestest hiker I have met was a young woman who was a Philmont
Scout Ranch Ranger.  She ran the mountain peaks in the snow in her
sandals.  But she always carried an extra pair of socks to keep her feet
warm in camp.

Mark "Blankie" Liechty
mlaccs @ mlaccs . com