[pct-l] who pays? - was:Search for Censored

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Jun 4 16:14:47 CDT 2009

On Jun 4, 2009, at 5:03 PM, moodyjj at comcast.net wrote:
> I think it's called "public safety".  We don't bill people whose
> houses were burned the totql cost of the fire department.  Same with
> police.  Same with EMS, at least where I live.  Why should
> wilderness public safety be different?

I don't think it is too unusual for patients to be charged for
ambulance services in many jurisdictions. Often this is covered by
insurance plans but not everyone has insurance and so they may be
billed directly for those services.

I'm not advocating any particular policy with respect to wilderness
rescue, just pointing out that even in "civilization" you may be
charged for a 'rescue'.

Gary Wright (Radar)