[pct-l] backups??

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 3 11:52:58 CDT 2009

Mark wrote:

When you're through-hiking, does anyone take a backup stove or water
purifier?  Seems like something you wouldn't want to be without.

For the stove, I'd say no.  First, if you carry something like an alcohol
stove, there's very little that can go wrong.  I guess you could step on it,
but that's not very likely.  You could also spill your fuel bottle, which is
definitely more likely, but in any case it's not the end of the world.  A
lot of the food you carry probably doesn't need to be cooked (many thrus eat
only one hot meal per day).  In a pinch you could just ration yourself and
make it to the next supply point.  Some food that requires cooking can be
eaten (though maybe not enjoyed) by soaking it in cold water for a long
time, too.

For the water purifier, it depends on where you are.  In the Pacific
Northwest, I often don't treat the water anyhow so even though I carry Aqua
Mira for sketchy sources, if I lost the bottles I'd probably just drink it
raw and hope for the best.  In southern California, I've heard enough horror
stories about disgusting water sources that I'd probably carry both a filter
and Aqua Mira both as a backup and I might even use both at the same time on
some sources.  But that might just be because I've never done a lot of
hiking down that way.

It's amazing the kinds of mishaps you can survive if you're flexible,
creative, and willing to alter your plans.  The best strategy is probably to
think less in terms of redundant equipment and more in terms of makeshift
alternatives if necessary.

Eric