[pct-l] State Park closures

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 09:17:04 CDT 2009

Hey folks...
This post is NOT meant to frighten, but to ALERT.  Both Burney Falls State
Park and Castle Crags St. Pk. are on the Gov's hit list.  BUT no real
decisions have been made as to which of the parks (if any) on that list will
actually be closed.  I know that many thru and sectioners have arranged to
pick resupply boxes up at both St. Pks.  I can't answer for CCSP, but I can
say to those who've sent to BF, don't panic just yet.
First... between the huge campgrounds and Lake Brittan with it's boating,
etc., Burney Falls is a money maker, and the the powers that be would be
fools (o.k., so that might be an issue right there) to close it down. Plus,
the screams of irate local residents and business owners as well as campers,
especially those who return year after year would most surely be heard right
up and into Arnie's inner office.  Second, there's a large enough PCT
support group in Burney (the town of) as well as FireFly and FireWalker at
the Hideaway in Old Station that should those idiots in Sac. actually be
dumb enough to close the park, we've got you covered.  With a little help
from you, your packages will be retrieved  and held til your arrival.  We'd
try to get them w/o having to pony up the $5.00 package and $3.00 letter
holding fees, but if that doesn't work, you'd be responsible for
reimbursement.  So DON'T WORRY...we'd probably require a note from you
saying it's O.K. for ______________ (fill in the name) to pick your mail up
for you, but I really don't think we'll have a problem.   So hike on, but
try to keep your ear to the ground and your eye on the pct-l and FB...I'll
keep both lists up to date as I learn more.  And those who haven't yet sent
boxes but have intended to use BFSP as a resupply, I see no need to change
your mind and try to find a resupply point that's harder to reach just yet.
It takes a long time to close down something as big as this park, especially
with all the camping reservations already on the park's books, etc.  If it
happens at all, my hunch (unsupported by anything except simple logic) is
that since this park tends to be very seasonal, that is, the camp ground use
pretty much drops to zilch after Columbus Day or so, a closure wouldn't take
place til the end of the 'season'.  SOBOS would be the ones that would most
likely be effected should that should be the case.  But just remember,
hikers have many friends in the Hat Creek Valley, and we've got your backs.
Just note my e-mail address and be prepared to get in touch should the worst
happen and this park close.  If Castle Crags close, I have an e-mail address
for Brett, a park ranger/trail angel that (with his permission) I'll post so
you can get correct info straight from him.
Thanks,
FireFly at the Hideaway at Old Station
(aka Georgi Heitman)