[pct-l] Echo Lake Chalet announcement

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Fri Jul 31 19:51:57 CDT 2009

from the Echo Chalet homepage. (Echo Lake (US50 summit) which the PCTA
goes by:

JULY 24TH 2009 UPDATE

The water situation at the Chalet has become critical, and we are in the
process of canceling existing reservations for our house-keeping cabins
("Chaletlee's"). Our springs (horizontal wells) have been producing
between 25 and 50% of normal since we opened, and we have just
experienced a marked reduction in storage and inflow.

We are hopeful that the water supply will continue to allow us to
operate the Store and Deli-fountain. The marina operation is not
affected by our spring-water supply.

Please read below for the chronology of our (and California's) water
woes..............

DROUGHT NEWS: as of April 30th 2009 (from the Mountain Democrat)

The Sierra Nevada snowpack is at two-thirds of normal for this time of
year, raising concerns about summer water deliveries to cities and
farms. The third straight winter of below-normal precipitation has
prompted drought warnings in California. The state depends on its
snowpack for much of its summer water supply.  This winter's fifth and
final snow survey near South Lake Tahoe on April 30th found the snowpack
at 66 percent of a typical year across the 400-mile-long mountain range.

The Chalet must have hot and cold, pressurized, water to operate the
store and Chaletlees (Eldorado County Health Department regulations) and
we have asked the Forest Service for permission to install an additional
water storage tank that could be top-filled (if necessary)  by a
commercial water purveyor.  In the meantime, given the drought
situation, we will continue with our ongoing water conservation programs
and limit our late-season reservations.

--

Tortoise

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

--H. L. Mencken

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>