[pct-l] Portraits of PCT thru hikers, book idea.

Jason Waicunas pct2005 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 28 19:55:37 CDT 2009

About the PCT thru-hiker book idea, I noticed Donna mentioned that I am working on such a book, so I thought I would chime in and provide an update.  As several of you may remember, I am in the third year of shooting content for a book titled, "HIKER", which depicts portraits of thru-hikers and features a one paragraph biography/statement that I write, based on information they provide to me via a questionnaire.  Also, each hiker has received a copy of his/her photograph and has signed a release in understanding that the content will be used for the book.  It's ironic that I just noticed this post about another person who might be proposing to do the same thing.  No worries, everyone is entitled to create their own artwork, etc., but I would like to mention that I have registered the title of the book, "HIKER" with the U.S. Copyright and Patent Office in Wash., D.C., so at least my title is protected, but I am hopeful that mentioning this protects my interests and my concept is respected as intellectual property, although there is no sure way to protect this...it's more of an artist-to-artist agreement in the visual arts and literary industries.  If you wish to view several of the images that will be featured in "HIKER", please visit HIKER Portrait Project under the projects link of my website:  http://www.jasonsvision.com/projects.htm

I will be back on the PCT for parts of August, (mostly in Oregon and possibly Washington), to continue working on obtaining content.  Several people have inquired why this is a multi-year project and my reason is that I want to feature a diverse range of people over a three-to-five-year period, rather than shooting all of the content in one year and making it a "class yearbook" that features hikers from a particular year.  Once the project is complete, it will be avaiable to the public and a percentage of the proceeds will be donated to the Pacific Crest Trail Association.

I hope all is well with everyone and hope you can make it to this year's Pacific Crest Trail Day, which is on Sat., Aug. 29th in Cascade Locks, Oregon.  For more info., you may email me and I'll send you a flyer(pdf) that provides a break down of activities, etc.

Nabor J
PCT 2005
PCT 2010/2011 Hopeful.