[pct-l] Planning and start dates

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Jul 25 10:44:52 CDT 2009

I would further add that consolidated snow is your friend -- melting,
rotting out, suncupped snow is simply awful (and scary).  IMHO, leaving KM
in mid-June puts you in the worst of conditions in the average year.  You
may face snow storms in June.  Sure, there's generally less snow on the
ground, but the snow that's there is rotting out under your feet, creating
post-hole and sun cup conditions. The streams are swollen with all the melt.
So, the warmer it gets, the worse the conditions when you do have to walk on
snow.  High season fair weather for the Sierras is universally considered to
be August, well past the time the thrus are there.

I say this with the caveat that from what I'm told (certainly not from my
own experience) if you leave too early, you risk avalanche danger. Those
types of conditions are only for the real experts.  Know your limits and be
prepared.

Some folks just want to have a nice walk without big challenges. They don't
want to be in bad weather, and they don't want to route find. Getting those
kinds of conditions does require a later start, but it also compromises the
chance of completing a thru hike in a single season.

To walk 2,650 miles through wilderness conditions will at times be a great
challenge.  If that the goal, and one should expect, be prepared for, and be
ready to face those challenges. To approach the trail with any less leaves
the individual and rescue personnel at risk.

L-Rod