[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Hiking Radio

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Jul 19 06:15:45 CDT 2009

AsABat the Tranquil Campsite Sacker writes: The Table Mtn repeater is actually near Wrightwood. ?Freq is 145.280 - (131.8).? It's oriented to NOT reach Los Angeles but covers the Mojave area very well.? And the Yaesu VX-6 rocks!
The?Switchback the?Trail Pirate?replies: Yes, now we have an insight into the nefarious communications network of disturbers of?the peaceful tranquilly?Switchback's humble PCT campsite.??I will take jamming countermeasures.

But?as an added bonus, I will mention a neat communications trick.? Too often the ear phone cord from your radio gets tangled up.? It is frustrating to continually have to straighten it out.? To simply keep your cord untangled for a few grams, just cut a piece of hook & loop (Velcro) strap about 1/4 inch wide and about 1-2 inches long.

Wrap the strap around the ear phone cord where it separates up to both ears.? Then take a piece of reflective tape and wrap that around the strap.? You will notice that the strap is now snug, but not tight around the thin ear phone cords.? It slides easily up and down the ear cords.? When I use my radio ear cords, I just slide the strap up to under my chin.? When I take it off I slide the strap all the way up to the ear phones and wrap around the radio.

Now the cords never get tangled up.? Simple and very light solution.?

By the way, I have an old Sony shortwave radio that I take camping sometimes.? It weighs 8 ounces (?)?and is world class quality with AM-FM-SW, etc., One of the best super small radios ever made.? I also have a handheld receiver made before Federal restrictions years ago about cutting out certain bands.? It picks up EVERYTHING.? But these things are too much for me now.? I am old and can only handle a simple AM-FM radio on the trail.