[pct-l] Where are the hikers? ... They're at Sonora Pass

Hank Magnuski hankm at mtinet.com
Sun Jul 5 21:27:11 CDT 2009

I just returned from three days of trail magic at Sonora Pass (July 1st to July
4th). In that time I met a total of 59 thru-hikers, and a section southbounder
told me that in the week previous to July 1st he met about 50-60 hikers in the
stretch between Ebbetts Pass and Sonora Pass. That's close to 120 members of the
Class of 2009 in the area.

It was great to meet so many 1000-milers on the trail. Of special note, Blue
Bird was hanging in there, even though she still had a cast on her right wing.

Also, senior hikers Ridge-Runner and 2weeks-3days were still going strong.

Here are a few photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Hank.Magnuski/SonoraPassCafeJuly2009?feat=directlink

The main complaint was the army of mosquitoes attacking every hiker in the
stretch out of Tuolumne Meadows. Don't leave without some form of protection.
It's really bad.

Other than that, trail conditions were reported to be quite good, and many
hikers ended up glissading down the snow bowl into Sonora Pass.

If you have a question about a specific hiker, please email me off list.

Hank - The Owl