[pct-l] oregon hwy 242 closure

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jul 4 11:07:54 CDT 2009

Good morning, Sandy,

The PCT does "follow the road" by paralleling it for several hundred yards
in the area of McKenzie Pass, but on the road itself the trail only crosses
near Dee Wright Observatory.  I can't imagine any repaving work that would
materially affect a PCT hiker's transit in that area.  I think this is
another example of someone covering their butt over a technicality.

The closure of highway thru traffic would be significant if a hiker wanted
to hitch west -- I can't imagine why -- and it would limit opportunities for
hitching east to Sisters/Bend.  The normal McKenzie Trailhead parking area
is a short distance west of Dee Wright and will probably be closed. Other
than that, I would hike on.

They got one thing right though:  Any significant cross-country travel in
that area should be avoided.  McKenzie Pass is in the middle of many square
miles of some of the most rough, brutal, and barren -- but starkly beautiful
-- lava flow imaginable.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09