[pct-l] Cramming a BV450

AsABat AsABat at 4Jeffrey.Net
Sat Jan 31 22:49:49 CST 2009

> Tom 'claims' he can get 18lbs of 'food' into a canister, though he
> conveniently fails to mention the type or dimension of canister he
uses.

It was a Garcia bear can - the only one available when he wrote that
article. I personally saw him pack one once as a demo - I don't recall
the total food weight, something like 14 pounds though it certainly
looked like a little more work would get a bit more in. It was not all
rice, but included various bars, dried foods, etc.

I think it's in his writeup, but basically unpackage, layer, smash,
repeat. Tortillas lay flat. Packaging is bad. Fill in all gaps with
loose rice, M&M's, whatever. (Hey, didn't say it was neat.) Smash a
layer down with something like a heavy glass jar, repeat.

One ultralight measure is maximizing calories per ounce, trying to stay
above 100 calories per ounce.

I think it was Reader who suggested filling a bear can with macadamia
nuts and then filling the void with melted chocolate. That would
certainly pack the calories and fill all the gaps. Then chip out a chunk
when hungry. Probably lots of trading opportunity there too.

AsABat