[pct-l] why not just upgrade from the BV450 to the BV500??

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 21:03:52 CST 2009

I tend to agree with you here Gary.  Personally I have never been stopped
and searched while hiking.  Only occasionally asked for a permit by NFS
rangers, and never by NPS in over ten years.
Space is a real concern and so is weight.  To step up the pack size just to
carry a big freakin barrel is also increasing the weight of the pack.  I'm
still debating the options between me,myself and I.  Fortunately my pack
will accomodate whatever I device, but not everyone has a 4 lb pack bag as
big and comfortable as mine which has been out of production for a few
years.  I've got my gear whittled down to 14 lbs without camera, food/fuel
or bear appliance, and may chop another 1/2 lb when I get my tarp tent made
and go through my ditti bags and so forth.  Space is not a concernto me, but
I have a couple smaller packs I though about using and seehow this caniter
issue is a real problem for some.  I remember someone writing a while back
about hikers bouncing downthe trail withthese unwieldly containers strapped
on the outsideof thier little packs and how uncomfortable it looked and
comments made to that effect.  My little packs suck when not loaded with
care or overloaded.  On the other hand, my bigger multi-day pack will be an
asset when it comes time to carry large amounts of water and after
re-supply.  I even thought about building a lighter pack bag for my Kelty
frame, but tossed that when I weighed the frame at 3-1/2 by itself.  It can
just stay home and await the next photo expidition when Icarry 8-10 lbs of
field camera equipment, oh the fun.