[pct-l] Cramming a BV450 - YMWV

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Jan 31 16:03:30 CST 2009

On Jan 31, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Postholer wrote:
> Another question. Has anyone ever carried a canister for a 9 day/
> 200+ mile

> stretch with *all* their food in it? You either carried it in 2
> canisters or
> left a substantial portion out of the canister.

In 2007, I left KM for VVR with 10/11 days of food.  I had seven+ days
worth in
the bearvault.  By Crabtree Meadows (three days hiking) everything was
in the
canister.  I believe that this resulted in 'following the rules'
without too much
trouble other than the time spent creatively packing the canister.

I think the BV full weighed about 17-18lbs.  So I had 2+ lbs of food/
day.

One trick I used was to pack the bottom  of the BV for three-four days
of food and
then three-four days of food on top of that.  That way I never had to
go diving to the
bottom of the canister to get dinner or a snack or whatever.

You also have to work hard to get all extra air out of your packaging
and be willing to
squish your food mercilessly.