[pct-l] Response to Fear is a Choice

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Jan 30 03:09:15 CST 2009

Diane is also correct, to a point, so let's be real.

What we don't know, understand, or have experience with can be scary or
fearful. We don't know what's going to happen. Ignorance can be bliss or
death, depends what happens and what you allow yourself to get into,
realistically. However, we have at our disposal, should we choose to stop
our blind, ignorant run and consider the cliff ahead, the power to chose.

Choice has changed history. Choice has the power to change your future. The
choice I speak of has to do with how you respond to fears in your life. Do
you choose to question them, or at the worst, challenge them at all? Most of
the fears I have the pleasure of helping our wilderness students through are
fears of the unknown. I am secure in the mountains, but thrust me in the
inner city today, where I used to work as a Paramedic years ago, and my
uneducated, inexperienced, unrealistic fears would mount up within and
overcome me. (The inner city kids I have taken into the backcountry were
just as fearful of it! Imagine that! With patient, slow exposure and much
reassurance, doubt and fear were dispelled, but only when the kids were
willing to try, to choose to test, even challenge, those fears.)

Yet, as Diane said, if I stayed in a strong, experienced group, I might make
it through those inner city streets fearlessly. Yes, by staying within the
protective herd of assumed experienced through hikers, it is highly probable
that you will go the distance. Your inexperience and lack of self-confidence
born out of fear compels you to stay in groups for safety. If this is how
you want to enjoy the Pacific Crest Trail, that's your choice and
realistically accomplished. But you could experience so much more of the
trail and your self by choosing to confront your fears through pre-trip
education, skills training, and practice, all of which builds your knowledge
and appreciation of wildness, your self-confidence, and sense of strength,
independence, and accomplishment.

They say, life is all about the choices we make. Do you choose to be
controlled by your fears or will you face them and see if they are real?

This is a plea. If you are about to place yourself out in the mountains and
have a lack of experience in any area that you foresee encountering, please
stop and consider learning more about it before continuing on with your
planning. This is how you "arm yourself" for the endeavor ahead. I've seen
too many hikers ruin their experience and enjoyment of their "dream of a
lifetime" hike by simply and ignorantly believing that all they need to do
is have the right food the other guys took and the lightest pack everyone
likes and all will go well without pre-trip practice in the conditions
expected.

The one area of preparation I didn't receive, didn't even know about, was
creek crossings. One crossing could have killed me and another immersion
nearly killed my partner out on the Crest when I was 17 in the Sierras and
Cascades.

Mtnned