[pct-l] High Sierra Snow: Leaders and followers

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 29 23:57:42 CST 2009

Hi AsABat,
Yes of course what you say is very much important, and has merit in all
things.  However, I've seen where those who think they have the experience
and wealth of knowledge go tumbling to thier death.  I've climbed with
amatures who were much better company and whom I felt safer than some
proffessional guides.  Six of one half a dozen of the other.  It can go
either way and all points inbetween.  My point was to at least know and
understand the use of a tool and practice with it to gain confidence,
experience and develop good habits.  And did I not mention misuse having the
potential for injury?  Get experienced advise and training was the point if
at all possible and if not go jump off a ledge and try and stop yourself
without poking a big nasty hole in yourself, but not until you understand
how the tool is intended to be used, proper positioning in the hand etc...
I would never have bothered with it  myself had I not felt confident in my
abbilities and learning to do something on my own that may well save my ass
(can I say ass here?)  One of my sayings is, "Anyone can buy tools."  Not
everyone can use them.
As far as lanyards, I know nothing of any arguments for or against.  Maybe
they were a fad then; I have no idea.  But I do wonder how many people each
year carry an ice tool with no practice or idea what it's like to go skating
down a steep slope? Maybe none, who knows.
The incident about the PCT hiker was disregarding the tool altogether.  And
by the way, it was New Army Pass I believe and not Cottowood.  I mix those
names as it is just the Cottonwood lakes area to me.  All I know is I heard
someone died who was supposed to have been an experienced thru-hiker.
Since I have taken a liking to meeting and helping or just talking with
thru-hikers on the PCT it troubled me that someone fell.  I didn't much like
hearing a lady got washed down a creek a little ways either.  I had to talk
my own girlfriend backoutof a creek once.  She was determined as we were out
of coffee.  Silly reason to get hurt it seemed to me, but try telling her
that.  Same person I keep teling youare supposed to drink the water not
carry it around all day.  "Some folks you just caint reach."