[pct-l] Stove Fuel

david booth david.booth at internode.on.net
Thu Jan 29 20:09:06 CST 2009

Hi to all my PCT friends.
Like Ken I mostly use canisters as I find them the most convenient.
If I know canisters are not readily available I use a Tinny alcohol
stove. Alcohol is more messy (it tastes yukky if any gets in the
food) and it flares up if you are not careful lighting the stove.
(This can cause forest fires)
I even use a MSR XGK at times. Using this in Washington on the PCT I
had trouble getting white gas at Snoqualmie Pass so I loaded my fuel
bottle at the unleaded gas pump for about 10 cents. The unleaded gas
burns badly and splutters and produces a lot of black smoke. I can't
really recommend it unless in an emergency.
Canisters are convenient, you can control the flame and can be used
under the tarp or in the tent vestibule in bad weather. Fuel is
available at many towns, usually those with an outdoors store. By
buying at these stores or mailing the canisters from REI you can use
them all the way on the PCT. The biggest pain is when you use too
much and run out or else too little and end up with carrying
additional canisters. So canisters are great but not quite as
flexible as alcohol. In a typical 5 to 7 day hike between resupply
alcohol and canister stoves are very similar in weight.
By the way I found on the PCT that Heet Yellow was also not always
available, especially late in the season after hikers had depleted
supplies. I also found that many thru hikers didn't seem to care if
they had enough fuel so they went with what they had. This laid back
attitude meant they were not stressing about their hot food (this
also applied often to water supplies).
Others use esbit stoves and swear by them but again fuel is often not
available at trail towns.
There has been some recent development of lightweight mini wood
stoves which may be a good standby in lower elevations. It is
possible to light a very small amount of pencil sized wood to heat
your food and the mini  stove controls the flame and minimizes the
ash and hot coals allowing these to be safely buried. Then there are
the "no stove" people who save hardware weight and bulk but probably
carry more weight of no-cook food.
Stoves are a very personal preference and a source of endless
experimentation to get what is right for you and suits your hiking
style.
I can't wait to hear from Switchback who is probably at this moment
developing a lightweight wheeled stove with built-in umbrella holder
for PCT hikers.
Aussie Dave
Canberra Australia
(it is 100 degrees F here today and you can cook your lunch on any
flat piece of metal today! Solar heating.)