[pct-l] 1st post / what to tell the boss....

Emily White hikingahead.emily at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:56:09 CST 2009

I have long since stopped wondering about what to tell 'the boss'.  Being a
wanderer i have been stuck knowing that when i do get to the settle point it
may look poor that I never stay on at a job for more than a few years before
I can no longer resist the wind pushing me onward.  As far as the decision
to dedicate your life to the hike and away from an absolutely certain job
there is this for me:
I was diagnosed with MS a few years ago, turns out I had it for about six
years before getting diagnosed.  All those times tripping and falling on
trails suddenly made sense, it took me having to crawl up my stairs taking a
nap along the way to go through getting diagnosed.  A short fifteen minute
walk on the trails from my house left me needing a day to sleep off the
effort.
That was all it took.  They typify MS as a disease that stops people
moving.  Although possibly morbid sounding, I know that everyday I am alive
could technically be the last day i can walk, could be the last day before I
am blind.  For me that threw out every 'one day' dream and made it a LIVE
YOUR LIFE NOW.  I realize how blessed I am to have this mentality so
strongly driven in b/c it is TRUE FOR US ALL, disease or not.  If I wait, I
am looking at a future of 'coulda/woulda's.
However Piper is so right.  For me, the rewards of being in nature, pushing
myself, summiting and experiencing that which I havent FAR outweighs knowing
I have a good job.  Reading your email it seems as though you find more
peace in stability.  You truly need to look at yourself on this one.  All of
us will have a slightly different answer, but as again with Piper, although
I look and wonder if I am screwing myself over careerwise. I'd rather be
forced into burger flipping with a full life list than a power career woman
with a list of what I wish I had done with my life... this is my one chance
on earth and for me the living conquers all.  However I admit I always have
a hard time telling bosses that I am on my way, once I get to the next stop,
my eyes get wide and I know it was right.
Good Luck - Happy soul searching

nomadic aunty em