[pct-l] Will I die using Fuel canisters?

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Thu Jan 29 10:26:58 CST 2009

I used a canister stove (pocket rocket) for the length of the PCT in 2007,
and will again. You won't die or eat cold ramen as long as you plan ahead
and exercise some ingenuity. Canisters are available in most larger trail
towns, lots of hikers boxes, major outlying cities, and you can mail them to
yourself in a pinch.

I found the little 4 ounce (~7 oz total weight) canisters would last at
least a week. For longer stretches sometimes I would carry one of the big
canisters, or a couple small ones. The convenience, speed and efficiency of
canister stoves (especially in windy conditions) makes alcohol stoves look
like a quaint relic from 2003.

-Erik The Black
Pacific Crest Trail Atlas
www.pctatlas.com