[pct-l] Snow Skills Course in April

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Wed Jan 28 23:21:19 CST 2009

Hi, Ken! Good to hear from you. Thanks for spreading the word.

Though Mountain Education is no longer, I am still guiding and teaching the
PCT-Prep Snow Course on an as-needed basis.

This year it will be held the first weekend in April on that Friday,
Saturday, Sunday, (April 3,4,5).
Thus far, we have about a dozen people attending, both past and future pct
thru hikers.

The Course will teach the following skills:

    On-Snow Navigation and Visual Route Referencing
    Under-snow hidden hazards
    Creek and lake crossings relative to snow pack
    Avalanche awareness and assessment (not rescue techniques)
    The dangers of open, buried, frozen, and getting water
    Snow Camping (site selection, cooking, sanitation, dealing with storms
and frozen mornings)
    Snow-travel techniques (ice, creeks, trees, post-holing, sun-cups,
exposure, etc...)
    Climbing and Descending techniques with poles and/or ice axes
    Self-Arrest techniques for the falling thru-hiker

Anyone interested should e-mail me to request a space. The Course is free.
If students feel that the training was valuable, a donation at the end of
the
Course will be accepted.

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com

Mtnned