[pct-l] 1st post / what to tell the boss....

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 28 21:18:21 CST 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 6:44 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> So my boss comes to me today, with the most impeccable timing,
> gives me a
> raise, and informally offers me a promotion - literally two weeks
> before I
> am going to tell him I'm through hiking the PCT and he should never
> expect
> to see me again after March.

Oh, man, what a conundrum! I would feel pretty torn in this economy.
I feel for ya.

> what kind of reactions/responses/well
> wishings/anger has everyone gotten? Just curious.

I was in a position where my boss really liked me, treated me like I
was golden, kept saying I'd get promotions etc. I felt really bad
having to quit. I framed it as an issue of having a lifelong dream
and finally the chance to do it. I was surprised when he told me that
coming to the US and working in America was his lifelong dream and
since he was living his dream he couldn't stand in the way of mine.
He hoped I would change my mind, begged me to do the leave of
absence, but in the end he was supportive.

Sometimes I'm sorry I left. I have not found equivalent work. I am
not sure what to do next. I plan to hike the trail again and finish
it this time. It's all I can feel any real passion for. I'm taking
some classes and it's helping remind me what I enjoyed about my
career before I threw it all away on dreams.