[pct-l] 1st post / what to tell the boss....

Scott xanthocephalus at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 19:51:23 CST 2009

I was in almost the exact same position.  My job was scheduled to end this
August (a 3-year research gig), so I thought leaving in March wouldn't be a
big deal.  Two weeks ago, before I told my boss anything, he offered me
another year's funding to do a new project.  When I told him that I was
leaving to hike the PCT instead, he looked utterly shocked and said he'd
have to "think things over."  I went home wondering if I'd be fired the next
day.

The next day he comes in and offers to let me go on leave for 6 months while
I'm hiking, come back and finish my current project, and then do the new
1-year job.  Oh, and he wants to pay for my health insurance while I'm
hiking.  I was thinking that he'd be so upset that he'd refuse to even be a
reference for me.  Now, he's sort of helping to fund my hike.

So, my advice would be to just be honest about it.  It sounds like your boss
likes you, which helps.  Were you planning to quit your job, or do you want
to come back?  If you want to come back, then say so (I did).  Sometimes
it's easier for an employer to let someone go hike for 6 months than to
train a replacement who might turn out to not be as good.