[pct-l] Peeing on tp in cat hole and deer

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 10:47:40 CST 2009

From: MendoRider/ED Anderson
To: Sean

Deer certainly do go after salt where they can find it. During my PCT ride last year I camped in Kangaroo Meadow north of Seiad Valley. I was astonished at how feerless the deer were. At first I was delighted that they came right into camp. That soom wore off and I decided that they were pests. I was not very sucessfuf in chasing them away. They would soon be back. They were after the salt from sweat on Primos tack. Finally I resorted to hanging everything from trees out of their reach.

Regarding peeing on the TP in your cathole: I usually do it but have not seen deer digging it up. Of course is so far from camp that I would not be likely to see them if they did dig it up. I really doubt that they would actually would but I too would like an answer to the question. Assuming that the hole is of adequate depth, has anyone out there among the hikers who has made an observation like this?-? ?