[pct-l] planning

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Mon Jan 26 13:45:32 CST 2009

Christopher Baker wrote:
> I have a few questions...

I'll take a crack at a few of them.

> I have hiked sections of the AT and I did a couple of weeks in the
> Rocky Mountains. I remember having to plan my back country trip with
> a park ranger. Does the same apply to the PCT?

No.

> I have noticed many people hiking in shorts the whole way (in the
> desert and the snow).  I've never hiked in shorts alone, but I like
> the ideas of comfort and saving weight. Any thoughts on this?

Different people have different preferences. On the PCT you will be
susceptible to sunburn. You either wear long pants, or slather on the
sun screen. I wore long pants on my section hike. Even with long pants
on I was covered in dirt up to my knees every night.

> There are a lot of journal entries which state that the hiker camped
> off the trail. Is this technically allowed or are you supposed to
> stay at an established campsite?

There are few established camp sites along the PCT. You will find
yourself camping wherever you are at the end of the day.

> I am also debating on whether to take a one person tent, or just
> using a tarp. I have read about using a tarp with some netting for
> bugs, but I have never actually experienced using one. I know
> everyone is different, but what is the general consensus on the pros
> and cons?

There is no general consensus. Everyone has their own preferences. There
are a lot of light weight options.

> Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you on the trail this year! Oh
> yeah, one more question: We have heard that their are 09 PCT
> bandannas available at the Kick Off in April, but we are not arriving
> in San Diego until early May (We are finishing out our leases and
> jobs thru April). Is there a way for us to get the bandanna without
> attending the Kick Off?

Bandanas that are not given away at the kickoff are often (Usually?
Always?) available at the Saufley's in Agua Dulce. That may be the case
again this year.