[pct-l] planning

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:24:16 CST 2009

Chris Baker wrote:"I remember having to plan my back country trip with a
park ranger. Does the same apply to the PCT?"

A lot of these sorts of questions are answered in Yogi's guide (
http://www.pcthandbook.com/), past threads in this group (try a google
domain search of http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/), postholer
has an embryonic FAQ at http://postholer.com/faq.php ...

Short answer to the above is no, just get a long-distance permit from
pcta.org.  But you'll get better and more complete answers to a lot of your
questions, plus some that you should ask but might not think of asking by
doing more up-front homework.   I personally think it's a no-brainer to buy
Yogi's guide if you're even considering taking months of your life to do
thousands of miles of PCT hiking.  Read it through, make notes.  Think about
it, investigate whatever you're inclined to.  Then read it through again.
Caveat: I'm the planning type (but your subject is planning ...).

"I have noticed many people hiking in shorts the whole way (in the desert
and the snow).  I've never hiked in shorts alone, but I like the ideas of
comfort and saving weight. Any thoughts on this?"

Lots of thoughts, as with so many issues there are differences of opinion.
I think the extra weight of pant legs is minimal; I hiked in long pants and
long sleeves the entire trip, and would do it again the same way, but
certainly I saw a lot of people in shorts too.   Best IMO is to get your
gear in approximate shape for what you intend to go with, then try to do at
least one long-ish shakedown trip, maybe a hundred miles or so ... before
you go.   Or for this particular issue just get zip-off legs, you can always
mail the legs home if you don't want 'em.

"There are a lot of journal entries which state that the hiker camped off
the trail. Is this technically allowed or are you supposed to stay at an
established campsite?"

It's allowed in most places --- this is the west.  In some limited places
you're supposed to be in a campsite.   In California and much of Oregon it's
prettyopen terrain, often not hard to find a place to tuck in a cowboy
campsite or solo tent.  <insert obligatory comments about no trace camping
here ...>
In Washington there's more often brush in any "open" space, so you're more
likely to be looking for established campsites there.

"I am also debating on whether to take a one person tent, or just using a
tarp. I have read about using a tarp with some netting for bugs, but I have
never actually experienced using one. I know everyone is different, but
whatis the general consensus on the pros and cons?"

No consensus, lots of strong and maybe some not-so-strong opinions on this
as so many other gear choices.  I used a poncho-tarp (really, I virtually
didn't use it) as my shelter plus a very/ultra light bivy sack for the first
700 miles and then I switched to a solo (tarp) tent, and consider that a
good option.   A Gatewood cape plus a bug bivy is a possible option, but I
have no personal experience with that combo (Halfmile had that setup in the
short time I hiked with him).  There are lots of choices ...

Brian Lewis / Gadget
postholer.com/brianle