[pct-l] routes from PCT to the 14ers?

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 24 18:42:55 CST 2009

Hum?  Mt Tyndal is a very fun class II, with maybe a little class III here and there depending on how one feels compelled to classify friction slab, but I don't remember anything but having a lot of fun.  Now just off route to the east are the serious class 5 wall routes,so don't go wondering too far left ascending.  Tyndal can also be scrambled up the long talus slog from the WNW ridged etc but why when the rib is easier, faster, a lot more fun than talus, and thereby safer.
Mt Williamson is just over in the basin cross country over the talus morrains, some of which is easy walking.  Some folks do these two in a day depending on weather and time.  Williamson bowl is very cool. Go over and spend your evening below the route on Williamson, head up the peak early, and then make your way over towards Tyndal for afternoon summit depending on how you feel.
The class III route on Williamson is actually a class I and II mixed gully climb to an easy and very fun class III head wall that will pop you out on the summit platue, and a short talus scramble to the summit.  I did these in early July.
Split Peak is easily accessible right off the JMT/PCT.  Just go over and camp on the other side of the big lake and head up in the morning.  It is a long Class I slog, not class II unless you make it as such.
The Palisades will require intensive cross-country approach unlike the three I mentioned above as would Mt Russell
If you haven't seen the Palisades from Mather Pass I have an image I can send you that will express my sentiment that maps are flat, and the mountains are not.  It shows the weast drainage of Palisades lakes, North Pal, Sill, and a couple of the passes to get there like Cirque and Chimney.  I've been over Thunderbolt Pass and Knapsack and traversed North Pal a couple times and it is rough.
Also, youmight consider some of the peaks along the Evolution region if you don't mind peak summits under 14,0000.  Black Giant is a walk up, only a short walk off the JMT, and has one of the best views in the area.  There are several other climbs and traverses right around Muir Pass, and the Starr Route on Goddard is just over the around the north end of Wanda lake and accorss a basin.  Just a thought.