[pct-l] Hiking Shoe recommendation for thru-hike

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jan 24 12:24:16 CST 2009

I am still seeking the holy grail as far as hiking shoes. I like the
roominess of New Balance for my Hobbit feet. But I have not yet found
the perfect model. I'm considering ordering some 811s.

I did a lot of research online after having to leave the trail last
year. I had to leave because I bought trail runners that were too
"supportive" (read stiff) and they crippled me. I learned a lot
reading about barefoot running. There are people out there who run on
trails in their barefeet or wearing homemade hurachi sandals. There's
a lot of info out there on the debilitating effects of shoes, much of
it written by doctors. I don't believe I can backpack with 30lbs on
my back in bare feet or hurachis, but I do see the wisdom of not
hindering the natural movement of my feet and legs.

So now I'm trying to find good shoes with the help of a web site
called Road Runner Sports. They rate each shoe for the type of
support it provides.

Don't feel compelled to follow the trends or the "rules". Do what
works for you. The PCT is graded quite gently much of the time and
they keep it pretty smooth (the JMT portion is an exception--lots of
Inca trails and giant rock steps.) When choosing shoes, I think it
may be wiser to think of this hike as a long walk rather than a
mountaineering expedition. Your shoes have to allow your body to walk
a marathon every day for months on end.

By the way, if you are vain about your feet, don't hike the PCT.
Before the hike I wore ladies size 8-9. Now I wear 10-10.5.