[pct-l] Trail names

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 22 18:18:00 CST 2009

I don't know what the official protocol regarding trail names is, but
I heard that if you are a slightly older woman (older than say, 35),
you'll end up with a stupid name like granny something or mother
something unless you give yourself a name first. So I thought up a
name that had to do with Irish music and birds.

Turns out, that if I hadn't given myself a name, I would have been
called Hazmat. This is because I packed a tyvek coveralls--a white
hazmat suit--for my rain gear and wore them at a party on Highway 18
that I happened to stumble into.

I didn't want to be called Hazmat.

By the way, the coveralls were somewhat effective, although I only
really got to try them out in snow, not rain. Very light, provided
warmth when I slept and probably would have been great wind
protection, but not very durable. They are intended for single use,
after all. I cut them in half to make pants and a jacket and even
seam-sealed them. I have a cover for my motorcycle made of the same
fabric and it is waterproof.

Diane/Piper