[pct-l] PCT..."Wilderness" experience?

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 13:07:50 CST 2009

Ned eloquently put the advantage of going solo: Everything is more intense.

The sights, the smells, the emotions, the experiences.

But rather than think of it as a wilderness experience, I prefer to think of it as a WILDness experience (as Thoreau said).

Many people love the wilderness, be it as a social experience or solo.  The views, the beauty, the simpleness of being in nature.

A wildness experience? It is something I don't think most people want or desire.  It is not bad per se, but most outdoors people
wanted something quantified, laid out and predetermined. It is why trail running has taken off so much and why backpacking has declined,
the popularity of guidebooks (and I readily admit my own small part in this with various docs I wrote and contributions to guidebooks)
and, dare I say, the desire to stay connected 24/7.  Most want the wilderness to be tamed...and little less wild.

Is is it bad? Is it good?

Like most things, neither. It just is what it is. (An ex-Catholic atheist being Taoist?.gawd, I've been in Boulder too long...)

So..is the PCT wilderness? I'd say so. 200 miles between road crossing in the Sierra. Being in northern Oregon and not seeing
anyone for three days.  Seeing a huge herd of elk galloping around me one foggy morning.

But is the PCT a WILDness experience?

It can be. But each individual hiker has to decide for him or herself if they want a social experience or a wildness experience
(or even a mix....Like life, the trail experience is not absolute).

By hiking solo, you will have a wildness experience. Every facet of the trail is felt that much more intensely. If you hike
in a group, you probably will not be surrounded by a herd of elk one foggy morning. You may not find yourself feeling
intensely emotional the day after a snowstorm and being overjoyed at the beauty of the San Juans (of course..you won't
get that experience on the PCT. ;) , etc.

Having a wilderness experience on the PCT is relatively easy. Having a wildness experience? That is something you have
to consciously choose to do. And I think most people (based on leading trips here in CO) probably do not want.

Not bad. Not good. It just is.

Finally, on a related note, I've been struggling with the balance of groups trips vs impacting upon other people, the environment
and a sense of wilderness. I wrote this little essay as people questioned why I said TRIP IS FULL for my trip postings:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/trip_is_full.html

Just my opinion, HYOH, just my .02 worth, BINGO, etc...

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com